About UsIn the Community
- Our Community Investment and Giving Policy
- Education – an ongoing effort
- Community-based volunteer organizations
- Community investment considerations
- How to apply
- Review process
We are guided by the belief that the strength of our company is tied to the strength of the communities where we do business. This is one reason Anthony Insurance supports numerous organizations through charitable donations, sponsorships and employee-volunteer initiatives.
To clarify our focus, we have carefully selected two core areas where we feel our support can help make a difference: education and community efforts. We therefore strive to make higher education more accessible and we support community-based volunteer organizations with fund-raising efforts.
Only not-for-profit and registered charitable organizations in Newfoundland and Labrador qualify for donations and sponsorships from Anthony Insurance. (If you feel your cause is relevant to Anthony Insurance's focus even though it doesn't fall directly into these two categories, we encourage you to apply for funding consideration.)
After years of supporting a variety of general and business scholarship programs, Anthony Insurance decided to establish a permanent scholarship that focuses on reducing financial barriers to first year students.
In 2001, Anthony therefore made a $50,000 endowment to the Memorial University Scholarship Fund with an additional commitment to provide supplementary funding to allow awards to be made until the endowment becomes self-sustaining. The Anthony Insurance Entrance Scholarship, administered by The Memorial University Office of Awards, is now awarded annually to a deserving high school graduate from anywhere in Newfoundland and Labrador, thus improving access to that all-important, first-year Post-secondary experience.
Through our Branch, Agent and Head Office network, we encourage community-based organizations to come to us for support. Where possible, we encourage our employees to become, and remain, active in their communities though our moral and financial support.
Health, Sports, Arts and Culture and Economic Development organizations have been among the groups that we support in their endeavours to help make our communities better places to live.
Anthony Insurance receives many worthwhile community requests, far more than we could ever support. While we recognize there are many important causes in Newfoundland and Labrador, we must be selective in the ones that we can effectively address.
To help you decide if you will submit a request, you should know what we tend not to support:
- Adult sports and adult recreation activities
- Professional or amateur sports teams or sports-related activities
- Youth sport teams (unless an Anthony Insurance employee is directly involved with coaching or supporting the team)
- Advertising in yearbooks, handbooks, journals and event programs
- The development or operation of recreational facilities or playgrounds
- Travel, lodging, meals or miscellaneous costs associated with sending a local representative or group to events within or outside the province
- Charities or fundraising for individuals or individual families
- Commercial third-party fundraising groups
- Conferences, seminars and tournaments
- Benefits, auctions, dinners, golf tournaments, lotteries or ticket purchases
- Tuition or subscription fees
- Donations of Insurance services, or discounts on the same
- Annual operating support
- Operating deficits
- Annual funding, capital or endowment campaigns
- Organizations operating outside of Newfoundland and Labrador or whose beneficiaries are primarily outside of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Local chapters of national health organizations
- Community chapters of charities of which we already support the provincial parent
- National and international organizations
- Single disease/issue information and research organizations
- Advocacy or lobbying for narrow or specific interests
- Labour, social, fraternal or veterans’ organizations
- Professional associations or societies
- Private foundations, schools or clubs
- Organizations that don’t meet the basic criteria of being non-governmental, not-for-profit, non-sectarian and non-political
- Organizations that discriminate or advocate on the basis of race, gender, religion or lifestyle.
Due to the large volume of requests we receive, Anthony Insurance asks that organizations outline their funding requests in writing. This greatly improves our ability to respond to the hundreds of requests we receive every year, besides providing a fair review of all funding request.
Before you submit your request, we strongly encourage you to review Anthony Insurance's community investment focus areas and eligibility criteria to see if your project or program aligns with our adopted goals.
Important note: If an Anthony Insurance Employee or Agent is directly involved in your group's efforts, please mention this in your application.
Thank you for considering Anthony Insurance as a sponsor or donor for your program. We look forward to reviewing your request.
- It takes up to three weeks to review a donation request.
- You will be notified of our decision by reply e-mail.
- Applications that clearly do not meet our guidelines will not be acknowledged unless we feel that your program or project should be considered because of special circumstances.
Please forward all donation requests to either of the following:
PO Box 8130
St. John's, NL